Date: 11/1/19 8:43 am
From: Rankin, Gary <rankin...>
Subject: Ross's Goose
I'm running behind on getting this posted due to work deadlines, but last Sunday Mike Griffith, Janet Keating, David Patick and I did some birding along Rte. 2 from Greenbottom WMA to Gallipolis Ferry. The highlight of the day was a Ross's Goose among a large flock of Canada Geese at the Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam. David was able to get some good pictures of the Ross's Goose. In checking the records, he found that this sighting is the earlies fall record of a Ross's Goose for this area of the state.

Another interesting sighting was of a Greater Yellowlegs. We spotted the yellowlegs along the edge of one of the ponds at the RCBL&D. As we approached, it flew a few feet and then squatted down at the edge of the water. It was clearly trying to "get small". It got completely down and even lowered its head and bill to the edge of the water. While trying to understand this odd behavior, we suddenly saw the reason - a Peregrine Falcon came out of nowhere and made a dive at the yellowlegs trying to get it to fly up. The yellowlegs stayed down and didn't try to fly off, where it would have been easy prey for the falcon. Smart bird! Eventually, the Peregrine left the area and the yellowlegs went back to feeding.

We also spotted two Lincoln's Sparrows and several Tree Swallows at Ashton wetlands.

Gary Rankin
Lavalette, WV
Wayne Co

Join us on Facebook!