Date: 10/31/19 11:14 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Barred Owls a slight reprise
Being an old-timer I do remember this sequence of events. I recall walking
over to the Multnomah County Library in downtown Portland to see a barred
owl perched High overhead. This had been reported on the old phone tree of
long ago, before the internet.

But I do have a question, do Barred owls eat red tree voles?

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019, Roy Gerig <roygerig...> wrote:

> Many of you will not remember this. In the 1980s and earlier, when Eric
> Forsman and Wayne Logan and others were looking at the Spotted Owl and
> beginning to prove that STOC (Strix occidentalis, the Spotted Owl) requires
> decadent Old Growth trees for nest structures and Old Growth stands for
> their multi canopy vertical structure to feed on red tree voles and flying
> squirrels.
>
> In those days it was that the very first Barred Owls were being observed
> in the Northwest, and some said it was that they had recently found their
> way around the Northern Rockies and were spreading south into Spotted Owl
> areas. Being more aggressive, the cousin Strix Barred Owl might be the end
> of the Spotted Owl no matter what else we might do to try and save
> it...hence the shooting of Barred Owls these days in some rather
> experimental way, a last ditch effort to save some Spotted Owls
>
> Regarding all of the dead Barred Owls people find on the beach these
> days. Holy Crap. There must be a whole lot of Barred Owls out there.
> This population increase has happened since there were almost no BAOW in
> Oregon in 1990, to now. Barred Owls have hugely increased while Northern
> Spotted Owls have all but disappeared, in some part because of the BAOW. I
> never wanted them here, but the world keeps on changing and this change has
> been much too fast
>
> Nothing I can do about it, and so can you
>
> Have your ever seen a red tree vole nest? No, but you have heard of
> them. Like a blossom on a stem, 150 feet or more up around an OG tree, I
> have seen a few.
>
> Roy Gerig Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!