Date: 10/31/19 2:53 pm
From: Susan Treesh <sktreesh...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Partial albino sparrow at Scherman-Hoffman Wildlife Sanctuary
Cailin and all -

I remember the gradual transition towards calling such birds "leucistic"
rather than "partially albino," or the other terms you mentioned.  It
does seem to be a catch-all term, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful
in cases such as this, where a careful study of the bird is not
possible.  It has the virtue of allowing an easy distinction from true
albinism and of broad familiarity to birders.  I did a quick look online
and was surprised that the terms were not completely agreed upon yet.

Susan Treesh
Somerset

On 10/31/2019 1:30 PM, celticcail wrote:
> Partial albino is correct biological terminology for albinism (lack of pigmentation from melanin) in an animal which is localized to certain parts of the body, as far as I am aware.  A true albino lacks melanin in eyes, hair/feathers, and skin... there are also incomplete albinos which lack melanin in 1-2 of those areas entirely and imperfect albinism which is just reduced melanin pigmentation, giving reduced overall coloration.  Leucism involves the loss of other pigments as well as melanin and seems to be a more recent catch-all term among birders which seems imprecise to me but I could be missing something.  As far as I can tell, it's hard to know which term is most appropriate unless we know which pigment(s) are lacking but if anyone has further information on this, I'd love to hear it, and to use all terms appropriately.  :)Thank you!Cailin O'Connor Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
> -------- Original message --------From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan3...>Probably leuecistic(sp?) rather than "partial albino".
>

> How to report NJ bird sightings: see <www.njbrc.com/index.php/reporting-rare-birds/>
> or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
> List help: <jerseybi-request...>