Date: 10/31/19 10:31 am
From: celticcail <0000025ed36331da-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Partial albino sparrow at Scherman-Hoffman Wildlife Sanctuary
Partial albino is correct biological terminology for albinism (lack of pigmentation from melanin) in an animal which is localized to certain parts of the body, as far as I am aware.  A true albino lacks melanin in eyes, hair/feathers, and skin... there are also incomplete albinos which lack melanin in 1-2 of those areas entirely and imperfect albinism which is just reduced melanin pigmentation, giving reduced overall coloration.  Leucism involves the loss of other pigments as well as melanin and seems to be a more recent catch-all term among birders which seems imprecise to me but I could be missing something.  As far as I can tell, it's hard to know which term is most appropriate unless we know which pigment(s) are lacking but if anyone has further information on this, I'd love to hear it, and to use all terms appropriately.  :)Thank you!Cailin O'Connor Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan3...>Probably leuecistic(sp?) rather than "partial albino".

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi