Date: 10/31/19 10:25 am
From: celticcail <0000025ed36331da-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Partial albino sparrow at Scherman-Hoffman Wildlife Sanctuary
Partial albino is correct biological terminology for albinism (lack of pigmentation from melanin) in an animal which is localized to certain parts of the body, as far as I am aware.  A true albino lacks melanin in eyes, hair/feathers, and skin... there are also incomplete albinos which lack melanin in 1-2 of those areas entirely and imperfect albinism which is just reduced melanin pigmentation, giving reduced overall coloration.  Leucism involves the loss of other pigments as well as melanin and seems to be a more recent catch-all term among birders which seems imprecise to me but I could be missing something.  As far as I can tell, it's hard to know which term is most appropriate unless we know which pigment(s) are lacking but if anyone has further information on this, I'd love to hear it, and to use all terms appropriately.  :)Thank you!Cailin O'Connor Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan3...> Date: 10/31/19 12:52 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Cailin O'Connor <celticcail...> Cc: "<JERSEYBI...>" <JERSEYBI...> Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Partial albino sparrow at Scherman-Hoffman Wildlife Sanctuary Probably leuecistic(sp?) rather than "partial albino". On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 11:34 AM Cailin O'Connor <0000025ed36331da-dmarc-request...> wrote:Good morning, all,I took these two pictures of a partial albino sparrow yesterday morning at Scherman-Hoffman Wildlife Sanctuary in Bernardsville.  He was hanging out by himself but was the right size to be a White-throated Sparrow, which is my guess based on the size/shape and yellow on its face.  There was a great many Song, Swamp, White-throated, and Chipping Sparrows around otherwise but he was by himself, flushed from a stand of goldenrod while I walked the short loop closest to the parking lot, before the man-made pool.
The pictures were rejected as attachments to this e-mail but they can be seen on iNaturalist:  https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/35132945
Cailin O'ConnorPompton Lakes, NJ

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help:  <jerseybi-request...>