Date: 10/30/19 3:05 pm
From: David Moon <dmoon...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] S-P-L Farm and Plum Island 10-30-2019
Susan Yurkus and I led Wednesday Morning Birding from Joppa Flats Education Center today. Rain anticipated never came, so a nice day to be out, with a bit of mist, and some spots of blue sky. The high tide roost at the Main Panne was covered by rain water this week, so we will see if it drains. Highlights were the dark morph Snow Goose at the field across from the airport, and small groups of American Pipits about. Note we have changed our trip to Cape Ann from 11/13 to 11/20. We will be back out as usual next Wednesday from Joppa at 9:30 am.

Our list:
Mute Swan (2) - Main Panne.
Northern Shoveler (4) - Bill Forward Pool (BFP).
Mallard - common.
American Black Duck - common.
Northern Pintail (~ 40) - Bill Forward Pool.
Green-winged Teal (100's) BFP.
Common Eider (~ 30) Emerson Rocks.
Surf Scoter (5) - flying by Emerson Rocks.
White-winged Scoter - common, scattered abundantly over ocean from parking lot #7 platform.
Black Scoter (1+) - seen in a photo from the trip, but no big flocks this week, though many "scoter sp." out at sea.
Scoter sp. 100's well off shore.
Bufflehead (2) - females, Stage Island Pool.
Wild Turkey (5) - in a driveway north of refuge.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Greater Yellowlegs (~20) - various.
Ring-billed Gull (~45 +1) - large flock with Canada Geese in field across from airport; 1 at parking lot #7 beach.
Herring Gull - common.
Great Black-backed Gull (1) - North Marsh.
Common Loon (4) - Emerson Rocks.
Northern Gannet (2) - Parking lot #7 ocean.
Double-crested Cormorant - common, many migrating skeins.
Great Blue Heron (2) - 1, Spenser Pierce Little Farm (S-P-L Farm), 1 Hellcat salt marsh.
Great Egret (~15) - various.
Northern Harrier [1] - Pink House marsh.
Cooper's Hawk [1] - S-P-L Farm.
Red-tailed Hawk (2) - 1, S-P-L Farm; 1, Gatehouse.
Northern Flicker (3) - Roadside in/near S-curves.
Blue Jay (12) 8 S-P-L Farm; 4, Hellcat parking lot.
American Crow [1] - Airport.
Black-capped Chickadee (3) - Hellcat.
Tufted Titmouse [3] - S-P-L Farm.
Carolina Wren [1] - S-P-L Farm.
American Robin (~10) - various.
Northern Mockingbird (5) - Plum Island.
European Starling - common.
Dark-eyed Junco (2) - Middens.
Savannah Sparrow [1] - S-P-L Farm.
Song Sparrow (1+) - One positively identified, many more probable along road.
Red-winged Blackbird (9) - 8, S-P-L Farm; 1, parking lot #7.
Yellow-rumped Warbler (1) - S-P-L Farm.
Northern Cardinal (1) - Hellcat.

David Moon
Sanctuary Director
he/him/his
Joppa Flats Education Center
Mass Audubon
1 Plum Island Turnpike
Newburyport, MA 01950
978-462-9998
www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats<http://www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats>

You can't be suspicious of a tree, or accuse a bird or a squirrel of subversion or challenge the ideology of a violet. - Hal Borland

Mass Audubon: Protecting the Nature of Massachusetts. Please consider investing in the work of Joppa Flats by becoming a member<https://secure2.convio.net/mas/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app274b?df_id=4645&4645.donation=form1&NONCE_TOKEN=87DF451D09EB33BEFB7998B242B18605>. Thank you!

Join us on Facebook!