Date: 10/30/19 2:06 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
Not having been to Stewart Pond in years (I think I speak for the group), we decided to check the area. The official name is now "Bertelson Nature Park”. We were disappointed to find the absence of a Stewart Pond and all the rows of brush, willows and old fruit trees around it, gone. There are trails through open cut grass and stubble fields. Fortunately we found the birds feeding mostly in the canopy of the oak woodland to the north and eastward, but the underbrush had been cleared. Given that much of that brush was blackberry thicket, it still seems that this Park is misnamed. We did not check the Bertelson canal and associated border of trees.

We were surprised by the numerous Western Bluebirds feeding in the crowns of the oaks. There were easily 20 and quite likely many more. We had small clusters of sparrows and juncos, but no towhees.
36 species.

Cackling Goose flocks overhead
Canada Goose some flocks overhead
Mallard 6
Green-winged Teal 5
Mourning Dove 9
Killdeer 2
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Ring-billed Gull 2
Great Blue Heron 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Acorn Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 11
American Kestrel 4
Black Phoebe 1
California Scrub-Jay 8
American Crow few
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Western Bluebird 20
American Robin 8
Varied Thrush 1
European Starling few
House Finch 15
Lesser Goldfinch 1
Fox Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 3
White-crowned Sparrow 2
Golden-crowned Sparrow 8
Dark-eyed Junco 15+
Blackbird species 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2

Dennis Arendt, Randy Sinnott, Judy Franzen, Scott McNeeley, Jim Regali, Sylvia Maulding, Kit Larsen, Sue Hutchinson, and Larry McQueen

Join us on Facebook!