Date: 10/30/19 9:57 am
From: David Vick <or.naturalist...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Snowy Plovers
Thanks Dave for spreading awareness, we all need to be more sensitive as
the number of birders increases. However, I think a much bigger issue than
the occasional disturbance by birders are dogs. Literally every time I
have been to a plover nesting site on the coast I have seen multiple dogs
off leash. I try to politely inform the oblivious owners of the issue and
sometimes leave pamphlets on the windshields of the owners where they are
available. Signage is always well placed and obvious but rarely read or
followed. The symbols and wording are pretty unambiguous: NO DOGS on
beach (even if leashed) from March 15 to Sept. 15. My report of
infractions to park rangers at Nehalem was received with complete
indifference. My experience with pet and wildlife violations at Smith Rock
State Park is that when we issued warnings nothing changed because folks
never mention it to others out of embarrassment. When citations were
issued there was a significant decrease in violations because angry pet
owners tell others all about the great injustice (to them, not the
wildlife). Don't know what the answer is but perhaps agency people can
push for more enforcement. As a dog owner, I know one likes to be a hard
nose but such conflicts will only increase as our population continues grow.

David Vick
Terrebonne