Date: 10/30/19 8:54 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Costa's probably hybrid
Old articles from Auk are available on the SORA database.

https://sora.unm.edu

I would use more modern sources before the 1978 article, in part because more is known now. The problem here is that we have two competing truths:

a. hummingbirds can learn songs
b. hybrids can sing the song of a parent

It seems to me that these things more or less cancel out and we are left with plumage and structure.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

Attending Christmas Bird Counts with good weather forecasts.

> On Oct 30, 2019, at 8:40 AM, <rriparia...> wrote:
>
> Looking further into this bird,
>
> I found an article:
>
> Wells at. al. , 1978, Auk 95
>
> The abstract discusses hybrids between Costa's and Anna's with males appearing most like Costa's and giving a song typical of Anna's.
>
> I did not have access to and did not read the article.
>
> Maybe others have already concluded that this bird is likely a hybrid, so I'm a little slow here. I thought it was interesting that observations of this bird are supported in this cited literature.
>
> Sent from my Verizon LG Smartphone

Join us on Facebook!