Date: 10/30/19 8:08 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Graylag Goose (1 Josephine)
Wild Turkey (3 Harney)
Anna's Hummingbird (1 Grant)
American White Pelican (1 Douglas)
Merlin (Black) (3 Josephine)
Pine Grosbeak (2 Harney)
Lesser Goldfinch (1 Lincoln)
Snow Bunting (1 Benton)
Swamp Sparrow (1 Columbia)

Graylag Goose (Anser anser) (3)
- Reported Oct 29, 2019 15:07 by Kenneth Phifer
- Riverside Park, Josephine, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.428475,-123.328305&ll=42.428475,-123.328305
- Comments: "Domestic type. Much larger than greater white fronted geese.
Previously reported"

Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) (4)
- Reported Oct 26, 2019 17:35 by Rick Vetter
- (43.7275,-119.0057) Hwy 395 Devine Canyon, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.727546,-119.005667&ll=43.727546,-119.005667
- Comments: "Must be rare based on low elevation location since they are
common on the forest and breeding since about 1995. Very large bird with
long legs and neck and small head walking on Hwy 395. Same birds we have
been seeing almost everyday on the road in this area. Have never seen them
here in previous years. I heard the state released more birds this year in
different locations adjacent to the forest and these birds may be part of
the release. At least one has a metal leg band. Photos for previous days"

Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) (4)
- Reported Oct 24, 2019 07:24 by Rick Vetter
- (43.7341,-119.0040) Poison Cr Devine Canyon, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.734124,-119.004009&ll=43.734124,-119.004009
- Comments: "Very large bird with long legs and neck and small head. Rare
based on elevation and location likely. Walking on edge of road. Common on
forest"

Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) (4)
- Reported Oct 24, 2019 07:24 by Joan Suther
- (43.7341,-119.0040) Poison Cr Devine Canyon, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.734124,-119.004009&ll=43.734124,-119.004009
- Comments: "Very large bird with long legs and neck and small head. Rare
based on elevation and location likely. Walking on edge of road. Common on
forest"

Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) (1)
- Reported Oct 29, 2019 09:33 by Jimi Soupir
- 59164 Gibson Ln, John Day US-OR (44.4146,-119.0086), Grant, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.414605,-119.008618&ll=44.414605,-119.008618
- Comments: "Continuing at this location. It was repotting on the Big Day
by O’Learys/Grant County Bird Club."

American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos) (5)
- Reported Oct 29, 2019 17:25 by Russ Namitz
- Plat I Reservoir, Douglas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.394346,-123.2522678&ll=43.394346,-123.2522678
- Comments: "Large white pelicans still here."

Merlin (Black) (Falco columbarius suckleyi) (1)
- Reported Oct 29, 2019 07:49 by Alex Lamoreaux
- Wildlife Images Rehabilitation and Education Center, Josephine, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.4903381,-123.474403&ll=42.4903381,-123.474403
- Comments: "Female/juvenile Black Merlin by plumage... dark helmet with
poorly-defined sideburns, blackish mantle, black streaking over rich-buffy
undersides, tail and wings with very poorly-defined (mostly absent) pale
barring. Spent over an hour perched and preening."

Merlin (Black) (Falco columbarius suckleyi) (1)
- Reported Oct 29, 2019 07:49 by Lauren diBiccari
- Wildlife Images Rehabilitation and Education Center, Josephine, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.4903381,-123.474403&ll=42.4903381,-123.474403
- Comments: "Female/juvenile Black Merlin by plumage... dark helmet with
poorly-defined sideburns, blackish mantle, black streaking over rich-buffy
undersides, tail and wings with very poorly-defined (mostly absent) pale
barring. Spent over an hour perched and preening."

Merlin (Black) (Falco columbarius suckleyi) (1)
- Reported Oct 29, 2019 07:49 by Brian Tsuru
- Wildlife Images Rehabilitation and Education Center, Josephine, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.4903381,-123.474403&ll=42.4903381,-123.474403
- Comments: "Female/juvenile Black Merlin by plumage... dark helmet with
poorly-defined sideburns, blackish mantle, black streaking over rich-buffy
undersides, tail and wings with very poorly-defined (mostly absent) pale
barring. Spent over an hour perched and preening."

Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator) (1)
- Reported Oct 23, 2019 07:46 by Rick Vetter
- (43.9436,-118.8331). Calamity Ridge MNF near 17 Rd, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.943646,-118.833102&ll=43.943646,-118.833102
- Comments: "Observed and heard. Several robins flew over in early morning
light and a slightly smaller sleek looking bird with a longish tail landed
in the top of a tall fir. We heard a two note loud clear, almost piercing
call, several times. After perching for a few seconds it flew. Slightly
forked tail and a bit of a undulating flight. Listening to eBird calls it
sounded like the Rocky Mountain flight call but sharper. Our view of any
color was not good in the low morning light and angle we had, but the
shape, heavy bill, flight, behavior and calls were diagnostic. We had not
heard that call for years since we saw the species in WY. We were at about
6000 feet just below a rocky ridge line with talus slopes and scattered
pine and fir above with closed stand below us. A great surprise after all
these years ! Hopefully this may be an indicator of more to come this year.
19 were recorded at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge HQ in the fall of
1960. A few individuals were recorded in other years on the Refuge but none
recently even in the county, that I know of. More common just north of here
in Grant County We were within a mile of the county line"

Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator) (1)
- Reported Oct 23, 2019 07:46 by Joan Suther
[...]

Lesser Goldfinch (Spinus psaltria) (1)
- Reported Oct 29, 2019 08:05 by Phil Pickering
- Taft Waterfront, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.92731,-124.022272&ll=44.92731,-124.022272
- Comments: "Seen in trees at back of the open lawn at the corner of SW
51st and 52nd, same area frequented by a Palm Warbler last winter. Tiny
female goldfinch, more compact than American with small dark conical bill,
fairly bright uniform yellow on the underparts, duller yellow-greenish head
and back, and darker wings with very thin whitish wingbars and a small bit
of white visible at the base of the primaries."

Snow Bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis) (6) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 29, 2019 09:00 by Will Wright
- Top of Mary's Peak, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.5044913,-123.5524714&ll=44.5044913,-123.5524714
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing, photos"

Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) (2)
- Reported Oct 29, 2019 08:25 by Steve Nord
- Sauvie Island--Rentenaar Rd., Columbia, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.7574596,-122.776551&ll=45.7574596,-122.776551
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Both together chasing each other, at the natural wet slough
that crosses the road half way down the road"