Date: 10/30/19 8:09 am
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Streaked Horned Lark Recovery Plan out for public comment starting tomorrow
Randy, thanks for getting the word out about the comment period.

I was struck by this statement:

"In the five years since listing, many conservation actions have been implemented by the Service and its partners, and as a result, the status of the lark has improved."

Is there actually quantitative evidence of this? I know there have been efforts on the relatively small islands of federal-nexus habitat that were protected under the original listing.

But the majority of the population is still on private land that was not covered by the original designation. My understanding is that USFWS has never even initiated surveys of the private-land population in the Willamette Valley, deeming this too sensitive. So if I'm not mistaken, they have no real data on how the main part of the remaining population is faring, only data from the relatively small monitoring sites.

Am I mistaken on this?

Thanks,
Joel

--