Date: 10/30/19 8:03 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Costa's/hybrid Hummer: Notes and sources request
Hi:

Those recorded songs are very Anna's sounding indeed. My experience in San
Diego is my basis of how similar their songs can be, plus it is mentioned
in Howell and apparently the BNA. I can't recall how similar I found them
to be, just similar in some cases. Pieplow says some hummers learn some of
their songs and others online have agreed with this.

Another thing Pieplow mentions on his blog is that Costa is the only
hummer in the Calypte/Archilochus group with an upslurred call note. Hard
for me to see the sonograms exactly, but I think the call notes I found all
looked upslurred, but I am no expert on crunching sonograms. It would be
interesting to see if anyone can compare call note structure to Anna's and
this bird.

But a hybrid would still have mixed plumage traits even though they might
superficially look like a Costa's. I did not realize we had nice photos
until this morning, you need to dig around in the rare bird alerts for the
county. This bird seems to have white where Costa's should have white, not
gray. Bill looks slender, bird's shape seems Costa's , Coverts, that I
could find, look long like Costa's, not short and wedge-shaped like Anna's.
I see little that is Anna's. The faded color of the gorget could be simply
age of feathers on an adult male. Below are three links to parts of Sheri
Williamson's account. A wonderful source for all things hummer. It seems
to me that it takes more than a possibly learned song to make it a hybrid.
I would want to see some more gray, a thicker bill, a different shape and
obviously longer tail. Happy to hear other opinions on the fine points,
especially the shape of the coverts. The lower edge of the gorget seems in
between the two species to me? Any photos of an open tail?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tzunun/galleries/72157628213232595/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tzunun/galleries/72157632339137583/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tzunun/galleries/72157628212845115/

Bob Archer