Date: 10/30/19 7:20 am
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Scouting Trip Report
*SALEM AUDUBON SOCIETY SCOUT OF MINTO-BROWN CITY PARK*

*SUNDAY 10/27/19*

*FIELD TRIP TO MINTO-BROWN IS SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2019, 8:00 AM*

*SUMMARY of SCOUT:*

Fred, Paul and Kay were 1 hour ahead of me and walked the river trail
first, in shade, in the 30°s, with the river about 8 '. No ducks, nor gulls
seen. A subadult BALD EAGLE captured their attention seeing a lot of
streaking on the perched bird's back and i.d. was slam dunk when the bird
took off showing its size and other features. Note eagle sightings have
been low around Minto; also, confirmed by Ranger, Mike Zeiker who we met on
this walk. Two years ago, Mike Zeiker found a pair of BALD EAGLE nesting on
the river and toward Eola Park, but it failed.

While at the river, the group's first effort included 20 DOUBLE-CRESTED
CORMORANTS in a flight over the water. The co-leaders then reconnoitered
from the river to the inside field where they had full sun, warmth, and
found 1 SAVANNAH SPARROW. A PACIFIC WREN was also observed. Also seen was
an ACCIPITER SP. on the other side of the river, making its way out of
sight.

In catching up with them we had the following species plus my later visit
to the river had the fortune of 1 calling eagle from the westerly direction
where the trail goes to Eola Park. In the effort for a look, 2 adult BALD
EAGLES could be seen behind camouflage leaves of the tallest cottonwood
crown (60') and it appeared as they perched side by side, the male was
persistently calling. Then the both took off circling over the river, to
the other side then off and away up the river.

Our walk included travel on the loops leading north to the Conservation
area. The evergreen stand where there have been Barred Owl and Mountain
Chickadee sightings in the past was in complete shade and challenging in
seeing birds up. We kept hearing steady "tsee'" calls thinking possibility
of GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET (we did not see), BROWN CREEPER (we could not
see). It is probable with so many vocals but unable to bring the birds out
of the evergreen, the birds use these trees for warmth and food. We got to
the openness of the Conservation Area and had nice encounters with groups
of sparrows, including 1 LINCOLN SPARROW, LESSER and AMERICAN GOLDFINCH,
JUNCO, SOOTY FOX SPARROW and both crowned sparrows.

This was a gorgeous day to be out in nature. We could appreciate what birds
need to do when there is chill.

Travel was a bit over 3 hours with total miles 4.4.

*On the November 3rd Field trip, note the time change the night before;
with the END of Daylight Savings on Sunday. *Dress for the weather and
wear shoes suitable for uneven trail areas. We start at 8:00AM and will
plan to finish in 3 hours. Join us if you can.

Barbara Dolan

*CONSIDER THE SPECIES ABOVE WITH THE FOLLOWING CENSUS:*

Cackling Goose (Taverner's) (Branta hutchinsii taverneri) 1 With the
moffiti.*-fly over. Was not a minima. Light plumage on chest and abdomen.*
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) (Branta canadensis moffitti/maxima) 8-*honk
calls*
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) 1-*on the river in the quiet water
behind the rocky spit.*
Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) 2-*we could hear pop display sounds.*
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 1-*at Conservation area
flying in line with river in distance. 20 seen early in morning.*
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1-*oxbow perched on a log.*
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 2 *Adult- Perched side by side,* *in
tallest cottonwoods up from corner at parking lot trail to river trail,
intersecting with trail to Eola. Assume a calling male with female beside.
Both so camouflaged then flying off over Willamette and continuing after 2
circles. A Subadult BALD EAGLE was seen earlier in morning.*

Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 3 *Of 3 seen,* *probably 2 may be
a pair; male and 1 much larger bird working near.*
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 3
Hairy Woodpecker (Dryobates villosus) 1- *vocal woodpecker on the river
trail.*
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 2
Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri) 2
California Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica) 5
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 3
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) 1
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 1-*vocal from trees at the
upper pond as we looped to return toward the dog run area.*
Bewick's Wren (Thryomanes bewickii) 6

Pacific Wren (*Troglodytes pacificus*) 1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 4
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 2
Lesser Goldfinch (Spinus psaltria) 5
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 3
Savannah Sparrow (*Passerculus sandwichensis*) 1

Fox Sparrow (Sooty) (Passerella iliaca [unalaschcensis Group]) 6
Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) (Junco hyemalis [oreganus Group]) 2
White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys) 5
Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla) 5
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 8
Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) 2
Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus) 3
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 5

Join us on Facebook!