Date: 10/30/19 12:51 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (29 Oct 2019) 106 Raptors

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (10): Linda Meyers, Jerry Meyers, Joe Meloney, Carol DePalma,
Ellen Nunn, Lea Gummey, Tom Zunino, Gerry Teig, Andy Urquhart
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (100-90% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 2,300-4,500 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 54 - 65F, Winds SE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (43) and Turkey Vultures (55).

<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Not the best of days is on our way at Bucktoe, but perhaps not a complete
washout. Yesterday’s incredibly high sky will be replaced by a low
ceiling today. But before going to Bucktoe, I stopped at the effluent pond
of Longwood Gardens [private] where I have been seeing an assortment of
waterfowl. Today there were Northern Shoveler, Ring-necked Ducks, Ruddy
Ducks, Green-winged Teal, American Wigeon, along with the regular Mallards
and Canada Geese.
<BR><BR>
The feeders and water feature were alive with activity when I arrived at
Bucktoe Hawk Watch; activity which included 9 sparrow species. There were
White-crowned Sparrows, White-throated Sparrows, Song Sparrows, and Field
Sparrows, but of more unusual occurrence were the Swamp Sparrows, Eastern
Towhee, Dark-eyed Junco, Chipping Sparrows, and the Lincoln’s Sparrow.
After a bit I added a 10th sparrow when a Savannah Sparrow joined the
group.
<BR><BR>
Carol and Ellen were here and brought food. Thanks guys! It was nice to
spend time with Joe, Gerry, and Tom, too.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVENS, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, White-crowned Sparrows, Savannah
Sparrows, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Swamp Sparrows, Palm Warblers, and
Yellow-rumped Warblers
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (2): Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary.
Dragonflies (0). Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 2.63; Steps:
6,175; Floors: 7.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 45; this season:
132
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Dark-eyed Junco.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks Cloudy with a foggy beginning and light winds.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek