Date: 10/29/19 7:42 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] *NO* Tropical Kingbird, Belmont
Hi MassBirders,

Fate conspired to place me in Belmont on Tuesday afternoon, giving me a chance to visit Rock Meadow. But unfortunately, there was no sight nor sound of the kingbird during my visit. I guess Fate needs to conspire faster next time. Between this and the Pacific-Slope Flycatcher failing to appear during my visit to its location on Friday, I’m starting to feel like these late-autumn tyrannids have something against me….

Most pleasant surprise came just before I opened my car door to get in and leave: two warblers abruptly appeared in a small tangle of brush on the ground at the edge of the parking lot. The first appeared to be a Blackpoll. I assumed that the second would be the same, but it took me a few minutes to relocate it. When I did, it turned out to be a Black-throated Green! Combined with the Palm Warbler that I’d seen along the loop trail earlier, and the abundance of butter-butts, that gave me four warbler species among the 25 species total that I tallied in a little over an hour at Rock Meadow.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA

Vice-president, Hampshire Bird Club
https://hampshirebirdclub.org/

Northeast Chapter head, Dragonfly Society of the Americas
https://www.dragonflysocietyamericas.org/northeastdsa

http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

Join us on Facebook!