Date: 10/29/19 9:16 am
From: 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Codes and Views
As with any acronym, if you don't define it first, then you shouldn't use it, which I believe is standard on this list for banding codes. BB and BE aren't codes at all since they're just something that you use. And since the topic was butterbutts, it was even less clear that BB meant bluebird.

Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 11:50:39 AM EDT, JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...> wrote:

Codes

On Monday, October 28, 2019, 2:20:30 PM EDT, JAMES SPEICHER wrote:
>  I had a BB pair checking out my House Wren bird box this morning.  I
> thought Spring was the peak season for house hunting...

On 10/28/19, 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding
<mdbirding...> wrote:
> What is a BB?

Bluebirds, thought that would have been obvious given the context
[birds checking out House Wren nest box] & Pat's message mentioning
Bluebirds, apologize if not.

I don't use "codes" 99.999% of the time, but when i do i also use the
full name.  I do have some eccentric abbrev that i will sometimes use,
e.g. BB for Bluebirds is what i would use in field notes during counts
as well as BE for Bald Eagle.  Those sometimes make it into Maryland &
DC Birding when the usage would seem to me not to pose a puzzle.

Jared replied off list to my query on this topic:
It's just views to that post on the website. Not email views. Last I
checked it [membership] was about 1600, not everyone is signed up to
receive emails.

Read my original post that Jared replied to at
[http://digest.sialia.com/?rm=message;id=1560451].

Jim S