Date: 10/29/19 2:45 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (28 Oct 2019) 350 Raptors

CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Ellen Nunn, Carol DePalma
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny (10% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 40,000-30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 53 - 68F, Winds Light & Variable
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and Turkey Vultures (72).

<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Things began quickly at Bucktoe this morning. Lots of vultures were
around; trees full of them roosting for the night where I normally never
see them. These were surely migrants which stopped here for the night
before continuing on their journey. The sky was littered with vultures of
both species, in every direction well before 10am. They were all gaining
altitude and heading south. I am considering rethinking my rule of not
counting Black Vultures as migrants. They were right with the seemingly
southbound Turkey Vultures which I feel fairly confident are migrating.
The morning featured numbers of a variety of hawks though very difficult to
spot in this high sky.
<BR><BR>
Carol was out early and with tuna sandwiches. Ellen arrived bearing soup
and fruit. Where on earth did these ladies get the notion that gifts of
food and libation were welcomed or encouraged here at Bucktoe?
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVENS, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, White-crowned Sparrows, Palm
Warblers, Yellow-rumped Warblers, and Rusty Blackbird
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (6): Monarch - 5, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary.
Dragonflies (0). Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, .
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.56; Steps:
8,344; Floors: 6.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 43; this season:
131
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Rusty Blackbird.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks not so good with drizzle and winds from the
southeast. Not a complete washout, though.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek