Date: 10/28/19 9:35 pm
From: David T√łnnessen <davidtonnessenx...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: Possible Yellow-billed Loon, Cherry Creek State Park
Hey Cole,

Echoing what Nick said, I would've expected a paler loon overall with a
heftier bill rather than what looks like stark contrast between dark upper
parts and pale below, features typical of Common Loon. While not entirely
invalid, bill color isn't something I find especially helpful for ID of the
two species in basic plumage at a distance, especially as I've seen Commons
with yellow-looking bills whether as a result of lighting or just general
variability. A combination of hefty bill and overall structure, stronger
scale pattern in the back, and overall pale and low-contrast plumage from
the top/back of the neck to the underparts I find to be most helpful in
picking out Yellow-billed.

Good Birding!
David Tonnessen
Colorado Springs, CO