Date: 10/28/19 7:09 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 10/26 Blue Grosbeak at Lost Pond in Brookline, etc.
Thanks to Paul Peterson for the following report.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
barb6202theworld.com

*

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 16:48:14 +0000 (UTC)
From: Paul Peterson <petersonpaul63...>

Hi,
You can either park at Skyline Park on Tranfer Station Dr. in Brookline
or Kennard Park on Dudley Rd. in Newton. Newton is easier, just park and
go up the driveway a short distance to take the left at the sign into
the lovely woods. Soon you get to a path that goes left into the
low-lying pond area. Don't take it. Instead, continue straight until you
come to the meadow with the long wall at the top. Keep the wall to your
right as you walk all the way down to the end, staying paralell to, but
below the wall. You will be near the tan building, but on other side of
the fence from it. (former incinerator?) There is also a tiny
pond/watering hole here. Unbeknownst to me, the bird was feeding
invisible in the weeds with a flock of forty mostly visible House
Finches. I walked close and flushed the birds . The immature BLUE
GROSBEAK landed on a sapling in the nearby cattails. I birded here from
3:40-5:30. UNLESS NOTED, ALL BIRDS FROM LOST POND MEADOW AREA:

Great Horned Owl 2 heard
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Eastern Bluebird 4
Yellow-rumped Warbler 7 including five along Tranfer Station Dr.
Common Yellowthroat 2  including one along Tranfer Station Dr.
Indigo Bunting 1
BLUE GROSBEAK 1 SEE ABOVE

P.S. At the nearby D. Blakely Hoar Sanctuary in Brookline earlier in the
day, there was a ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER along the boardwalk near the
tennis courts, just before the boardwalk briefly widens. Also, there
were a minimum of six Swamp Sparrows there.

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Join us on Facebook!