Date: 10/28/19 4:20 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (26 Oct 2019) 53 Raptors
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 12:03:53 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (26 Oct 2019) 53 Raptors

Peregrine Falcon 2 18 34
Unknown Accipiter 0 18 32
Unknown Buteo 0 4 10
Unknown Falcon 0 2 9
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 27 101
Mississippi Kite 0 0 1

Total: 53 780 4474

Observation start time: 09:00:00 Observation end time: 16:00:00 Total
observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Dave Brown, Eric Mueller, JoAnne Hart, Rod Chase,
Tom Pirro, Tom Gottschang

Visitors:
Great to have Tom Pirro for an hour in the morning and Joe Bourget for an
hour in the afternoon. Also helping
were Alicia and Joe Kendall, Rick Quimby, and Lauren
Konicky.
The last drive-up crowd (assuming no one came in Sunday's rain?) was
modest and all friendly -- both those who knew what we were doing and many
who were delighted to find out.
The daily hikers all know us, far sure, and many have our names down pat!

Weather:
Wind was from North thru the morning at 3-8mph; afternoon speed 0-5
dropped further and to 0-3mph in the last two hours; direction was variable
after noon but ranged NW to NE with an occasional hint of ENE.
Temp slowly rose from 48F at 9am to 55 at 2pm before then
declining to 53F at 3pm.

Raptor Observations:
The day's flight ramped up to the peak 11am hour (17 raptors) before
tailing off once again in the afternoon hours. Our double-digit species
(TVs, BEs & RTs -- in that order) were 83% of our total of 52 ...
Nearly all of the morning birds arrived from the North
while the afternoon brought a few more from the E or SE
and these passed on South side of summit.

Not migrating raptors: 3 BE, 6 TV.

Non-raptor Observations:
Ravens led the way with 17 locals plus 10 who, by protocol, could have
been departing. Also seen were Blue Jays, Towhees, 1 Cormorant going
north.

No Monarchs seen today.

Predictions:
Rain :-(.
Hope to have some hikes by a few observers now that the road is closed
until spring.
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!