Date: 10/28/19 3:36 pm
From: Brian Johnson <buntingrobinjay...>
Subject: [cobirds] A fun time along the Platte river, Arapahoe County
I went to my usual patch along the South Platte River between Bowls and the
begging of the Northern Wildlife Area. I found some rather nice and exiting
patch first patch records for me. The first excitement was the large flock
of *American Pipits *feeding in the river along the many river rocks,
moving downstream and back up stream between the south end of Hudson
Gardens and Reynodl's Landing Park. There was probably about 30 of them,
but exact numbers where hard to come by with them flying all over the
place. At the end of the walk I came across the most exciting first patch
record, a lone *Sandhill Crane* circling over Cooley lake and gaining
altitude quickly. It was by it's self, maybe separated from the main flock,
and bugling constantly. I later saw a lot more cranes at Clement Park in
Jefferson County, which gave me a more unobstructed view of the hogback.
Along with the birds it was nice and cold, my preferred weather.
Good Birding,
Brian Johnson
Englewood CO