Date: 10/28/19 2:18 pm
From: Roy Gerig <roygerig...>
Subject: [obol] 20 or more Horned Larks along Livermore Rd (Polk Co) today
I checked obol before writing this and saw where Mike Patterson used a
wonderful word, movious. Movious is almost a real word, it means or
pertains to something that seldom sticks to the same place. Thanks Mike
for providing us with the Word of the Day!

I drove slowly down Livermore Road, near Baskett Slough NWR west of Salem,
and then back up again late this morning. There are at least 20 or more
HORNED LARKS there. It is hard to get a count, they move back and forth
from the road and west of it, to the now dry seasonal wet area that is
about 3 miles from the south end and 1.5 miles from the north end of this
4.2 mile long gravel road through open ag country

In every way I could count them, the number of Larks was somewhere between
20 and 30. I have not seen these numbers of HOLA here in Polk County, west
of Salem, in several years at any season. I average about one visit per
week up and down Livermore Rd, which is the best location to see our race
of Horned Larks and others like Pipits and Longspurs and raptors in the
Salem area

Some of the Larks I saw this morning may have been of a paler race, some
were paler but I do not know if that is a function of there being young of
the year. Mixed in were several AMERICAN PIPITS and SAVANNAH SPARROWS

It seems like good news
Roy Gerig, Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!