Date: 10/28/19 1:47 pm
From: Jules Evens <avocetra...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Beached Barred Owls
I found an imm. (and desiccated) Barred Owl on the Manzanita beach in early Oct. Also, relevant to this discussion, Short-eared Owls (and Long-eared) show up on SE Farallon I., about 20 miles off Point Reyes, but most common there are Burrowing Owls. A half dozen or so arrive each fall and prey on house mice. When the mouse population gets depleted, they switch to Ashy Storm-Petrel chicks, a “conservation conundrum.”
https://www.pointblue.org/farallones_blog/conservation-conundrum-the-interaction-of-burrowing-owls-ashy-storm-petrels-and-house-mice/
Jules Evens, Portland

Sent by my iPhone