Date: 10/28/19 8:39 am
From: David Muth <MuthD...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Vermilion Parish birding 10/26, 27
Paul/Labird:

Visits to Bayou Sauvage NWR on Saturday (w/ Joan Garvey) and Grand Isle on Sunday (w/ Joan and Wendy Rhiner) yielded similar landbird migrant action. We tripped a number of filters for late birds or late migrant numbers. Tennessee Warblers on GI led the way among 16 species of warbler with 50+ individuals. We also had a late Acadian, a Swainson's Thrush and multiple Woods, lots of pewees and White-eyed Vireos, and a W. Kingbird at the state park. The most astonishing sight was 3 Bay-breasted and a Magnolias feeding on the close-cropped lawn beneath the observation tower at the state park.

The number of birds in the impoundment at Recovery 1 in Bayou Sauvage NWR Saturday was very impressive (5,000+), as reported earlier by Peter Yaukey. The highlight there was two Wood Storks, a parish bird for me, which I have been looking for these many years.

Best bird Sunday on Grand Isle was a Calliope Hummingbird in the first patch of Turk's cap along the asphalt trail at Griletta. We saw this bird briefly and all felt it was a Calliope but the look was very brief so it went into the list as "hummingbird sp." However, at one point later a hummer zipped over our heads in the direction of the patch of flowers. Quick eyed and quick draw Joan managed to get off a couple of camera shots when it stopped briefly at ruellia along the path, but did not realize it was in fact the Calliope until she looked at the photos this morning.

David Muth
New Orleans