Date: 10/28/19 5:24 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (27 Oct 2019) 8 Raptors

CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Hank Davis
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 1,300-2000 ft., Visibility - 6
miles, Temps 60 - 71F, Winds ESE @ 15 - 20 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-tailed Hawk,
and Turkey Vultures (2).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On Oct. 24, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
This rainy day began with our regular Sunday morning bird walk, which I
joined for a time, before peeling away to start the hawk watch. It was
just Hank and I on the walk, seeing only 19 species highlighted by
Ruby-crowned Kinglets.
<BR><BR>
Man, did I mess up today regarding the hawk watch, but I had help from the
weatherman. The forecast called for rain to continue all day, with very
heavy rain IN THE AFTERNOON. I figured the morning, however horrible [and
it was], would be better, right? So I started early, arriving at 6am EST.
I saw very little when I had completed my 6 hours in solitude at Noon. Oh,
I had seen a few accipiters and a Merlin, but not much else.
<BR><BR>
I left the hawk watch in the pouring rain with the idea to do some writing
at Marsh Creek in the rain with strong easterly winds. Perfect weather and
season to see Scoters and other birds forced down to rest in our region
during their migration. The plan was perfect; the results, not so much.
Suddenly, at 2pm the skies ceased raining, the clouds broke and my mistake
became evident. The sky was filled with vultures and some hawks were
moving, but I was now at Marsh Creek, not the hawk watch! I certainly
missed a lot of birds passing over Bucktoe for that final hour, but I did
see Common Loons, Double-crested Cormorants, Ring-billed Gull, Herring
Gull, Great Blue Herons, Belted Kingfisher, and Merlin, at Marsh Creek
Lake. There were no scoters.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Ruby-crowned Kinglets, White-crowned Sparrows, Swamp Sparrows, Palm
Warblers and Yellow-rumped Warblers.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.86; Steps:
11,406; Floors: 28.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 36; this season:
130
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks sunny with light variable winds and a very deep,
high sky - I don't remember EVER seeing a ceiling of 40,000 feet!
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek