Date: 10/27/19 11:22 pm
From: Polly Alexander <pollysalexander...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Beach Barred Owls
I too found what may be the same owl that you found, Beverly, on the Manzanita Beach in late September. After recently reading that Barred Owls are being killed in hopes of saving the Spotted Owl, I thought maybe this owl had been killed as part of this effort. Why did it wash up on the beach? My understanding is that every Barred Owl that is killed is studied and recorded and not just tossed, but maybe this one was not retrievable and somehow ended up in the ocean. It does not explain the others that Matt reports and the one you saw last year.

Polly Alexander

> On Oct 27, 2019, at 10:29 PM, Beverly Hallberg <bhallbergskloot...> wrote:
>
> Also, in addition to the one I found yesterday on the Manzanita beach, I found one on the same beach, same location almost 2 years to the date - also on inaturalist. A seasonal thing?
>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/8444257 <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/8444257>
>
> Beverly
>
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 10:19 PM Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter...> <mailto:<matthewghunter...>> wrote:
> This month there have been at least three Barred Owls photographed washed up on northern Oregon Coast beaches, in iNaturalist.org. I've not seen that before. Perhaps Mike Patterson or COASST folks have??? How unusual is this? Is someone tossing their kill in a river and they end up on the beach? Are there so many Barred Owls that they are flying "west" to find open territory? Thoughts?
>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/34044566 <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/34044566>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/34938304 <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/34938304>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/34985010 <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/34985010>
>
> Matt Huntereach