Date: 10/27/19 7:46 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bake Oven Knob (27 Oct 2019) 10 Raptors
Bake Oven Knob
2 miles North of Germansville, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 27, 2019

Black Vulture 0 63 197
Turkey Vulture 9 257 699
Osprey 0 25 182
Bald Eagle 0 83 234
Northern Harrier 0 11 28
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 616 1136
Cooper's Hawk 0 83 134
Northern Goshawk 0 1 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 11 16
Broad-winged Hawk 0 8 4161
Red-tailed Hawk 1 80 212
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 14 15
American Kestrel 0 19 89
Merlin 0 15 30
Peregrine Falcon 0 16 30
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 11 69

Total: 10 1313 7233

Observation start time: 13:30:00
Observation end time: 16:15:00
Total observation time: 2.75 hours

Official Counter: Rick Morrissey

Observers:

Visitors:
As I mentioned already, more visitors than expected, all getting great
pictures with the exceptionally clear and panoramic view of the valley from
the South look-out. Everyone was in great spirits because of the warm
October weather despite the Asian Lady beetle hatch. I would like to give
a shout out to the over night campers who left all of their trash on the
South look-out. First off, it is illegal to camp on the Appalachian trail
as an overnight camper who is not a multi-day, longterm trail hiker.
Second, I have your 10/26 Wal-mart receipt for the trash you left, which I
picked up (18 Hershey bar wrappers, ever heard of a Butterfinger?). I left
the tent, yes, the one you purchased for $98 the day before and left in a
pile in the middle of the look-out. Case in point, $98 tents from Wal-mart
are not water-proof, which you apparently found out last evening (hence the
quick exit to your cars in the middle of the night). Third, most people,
other than chuckleheads who purchase non-waterproof tents, look at the
weather forecast before planning a camping trip (a 100% chance of rain, it
was the forecast for the past week!). Lastly, the nifty pocket blade you
left that you probably brought to open the Hershey bar wraps, I donated it
to the nice young lady from Fogelsville who told me all about the Asian
beetles. Hope you don’t mind. Don’t care if you do.

Weather:
Heavy downpours in the morning finally subsided in the afternoon, with the
mountain clearing at approximately 1400. At 1430, when the migration count
began, the temperature was 63F with partly cloudy skies and West winds at
4-8 mph. When the count ended at 1615, the temperature was 67F with
increased West winds at 8-12 mph.

Raptor Observations:
I was in the neighborhood and decided to see if the ridge would clear after
the torrential rain this morning. Most of the afternoon there were
numerous sitings of 2 to 3 Redtails kiting on the North side of the ridge
by the hump and the slope of number 5. One of those local Redtails decided
to venture into the bowl and was flying high over the airport before
descending quickly to retreat back to the north slope. At one point two
Sharpshin hawks were harassing the local Redtails as they were kiting in 12
mph West winds, but they too were not interested in making a migration move
down ridge. But then at 1412, there was one outlier, a Redtail who made a
distinct path up into a 10 mph West wind and went directly down ridge. I
kept an eye the North slope the rest of the afternoon to make sure no
Redtails were sneaking back East, so that is the one migrating diurnal
raptor for October 27, 2019. I had higher hopes, but the views of autumn
colors highlighted by a late afternoon sun and shadows from the clouds was
well worth the trip.

Non-raptor Observations:
Two Monarchs, two crows, and thousands (maybe more) of multicolored Asian
Lady beetles who apparently hatched on this warm sunny day after a cold
night. They also like southern exposures, another reason I should have
went to the North look-out on west winds! They were not hospitable at all,
not like our very well mannered native lady beetles. These beetles fly
right into your face, land on your nose, walk on the inside of your
sunglasses’ lens, they bite, and they excude a foul smelling chemical. I
had no less than 100 on my jeans, probably that many on my body unseen to
me. A real treat for the more than expected visitors who all told me I had
bugs all over me, that’s fine, eventually the beetles chased them as
well. Once the winds picked up, it was more manageable with the beetles
other than those who landed on me looking for over wintering sites like
down my shirt or up my, …. OK, you get the picture.

Predictions:
Sunny with a low temperature of 47F and a high temperature of 67F.
Northeast winds at 4 mph with a 10% chance of precipitation.

Report submitted by Bob Hoopes (<rehoopes...>)
Bake Oven Knob information may be found at:
www.lgnc.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=399

Join us on Facebook!