Date: 10/27/19 7:22 pm
From: <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Teal + Shoveler hybrid?
Hi, Sally -

The vertical line sure does recall Baikal Teal. It turns out that quite a few dabbling duck hybrids show variations of that pattern, and some researchers have suggested that it is an ancestral pattern, that has been covered over in most species, but re-appears in hybrids where the newer patterns get suppressed. I do not fully understand the genetics, but it kind of makes sense.

Wayne