Date: 10/27/19 5:14 pm
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Winfield Locks: Peregrine Falcon
Birds of Note:
12:00 Stationary Observation and 12:38 Travel Observation.
Sunday, October 27, 2019.
Winfield Locks.
Peregrine Falcon (1). (Poor quality photos).
Double-crested Cormorant (21). One was partially hidden by a light pole and appeared to have a white breast AND a white belly. However, it would not provide a better view and I assumed it too, was a Double-crested Cormorant. If anyone ventures to the Winfield Locks in the next day or so, you may want to take a hard look at all the Cormorants.

Winfield Locks & Dam, Putnam, West Virginia, US
Oct 27, 2019 12:00 PM - 12:25 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: Mostly cloudy, 70%. Windy. Observation was from the Winfield side parking lot. With Jeannette G.
5 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 10
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 1
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 2
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) 1 It was resting on the downstream Lock-wall. Usually, I have observed them on high perches and thought this was unusual.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S60980950 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S60980950>

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home <https://ebird.org/home>)

Winfield Locks & Dam, Putnam, West Virginia, US
Oct 27, 2019 12:38 PM - 2:28 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Distance is unique for any out and back portions. Mostly cloudy, 70%. Windy. Observation was from the Eleanor side of the river. With Jeannette G.
8 species (+2 other taxa)

Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 7
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) 1
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 21 One bird, (partially hidden behind the light pole on the left), appears to have a much lighter belly than the others. In addition to the (16) individuals that can be seen in the photograph, others were perched on various light poles.
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) 2
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) 1 Continuing sighting of the same bird in our 12:00 Stationary Observation that was from the Winfield side of the river.
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 4
Carolina/Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis/atricapillus) 1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 3
passerine sp. (Passeriformes sp.) 300 They would circle in a balled flock and then all dive together below the tree line. They reminded me of Chimney Swifts entering a chimney except they all dove at the same time. Estimate is X10's for the largest flock. Several other flights of 50 or more were observed but I assumed they could have been duplicate birds. All the flights dove down in the same area in the town of Eleanor. We did not observe the Peregrine Falcon or other raptors stalking them. I assumed they are passerine species. They were too far away to determine the species and are being reported because of what I perceive to be unusual behavior.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S60981769 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S60981769>

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home <https://ebird.org/home>)

Join us on Facebook!