Date: 10/27/19 4:54 pm
From: Paul Conover <zoiseaux...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Vermilion Parish birding 10/26, 27
Labird,

      I birded Vermilion Parish Saturday and Sunday and found the
birding noteworthy. It'll be interesting to see how this report compares
to reports from Cameron and Grand Isle.

     Long story short, I spent a lot of time birding small woodlots in
ag land and int the marsh. In the marsh, some of those woodlots amounted
to one or two small hackberries. Regardless of where I stopped, migrants
were varied and numerous. Every stop had a good variety of warblers.

    Notable in terms of what made eBird lists were 73 individuals of 16
warbler species including double digit Magnolia and Tennessee, multiple
Bay-breasted, only 2 redstarts, and zero Yellowrumps. Pewees were all
over; at the end of the highway I kicked up a bunting flock that settled
in rattlebox plants; one rattlebox plant about 5 feet tall held 6 or so
buntings, 1 Tennessee, and 2 pewees. White-eyed Vireos were also abundant.

    Two Common Ground Doves feeding in the road miles apart on
Freshwater City Road (a highway through the marsh) seemed like they
might have found themselves in a place they'll want to leave soon. I was
hoping some stranger ground feeders might find themselves in the same
place, but if so, I missed them.

     Birds a bit late or soon to be were Swainson's Thrush, multiple
Yellow-throated Vireos, Acadian Flycatcher...

     Most notable bird of the weekend was a Calling Couch's Kingbird on
Cemetery Road south of Wright. The kingbird was pretty cooperative;
location is on this checklist if anyone is interested to see if it's
still there: https://ebird.org/checklist/S60937250

Paul Conover

Lafayette

Join us on Facebook!