Date: 10/27/19 1:48 pm
From: Jeffrey Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Grants Pass Costa's Hummer is a hybrid
Regardless of the confidence level of opinions about the identity of this
hummingbird, I have marked it unconfirmed and it shall remain so for at
least two weeks in case any other birder(s), yet to be heard from, have
differing opinions.

Jeff Tufts
eBird reviewer for Jackson and Josephine counties

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 12:44 PM Caleb Centanni <caleb...> wrote:

> We definitely saw the bill of the Costa's in question moving and opening
> in pattern with the song as we heard it. My first suggestion was a separate
> singing Anna's until we heard and saw clearly. The same bird gave perfect
> Costa's callnotes.
>
> Best,
> Caleb
>
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2019, 12:32 PM <dpvroman...> wrote:
>
>> Was able to view the bird in question yesterday. However, I was not able
>> to hear the bird calling with my high frequency hearing loss. The
>> hummingbird's hosts, who can hear the bird, indicated that it's call was
>> different than Anna's. Yesterday, saw two hummers attempting to visit the
>> feeder and one closely chased the other away. Seen in back light
>> conditions and not able to ID either. There is likely Anna's in the area
>> as well. It can sometime be tough to figure out just what bird doing the
>> singing. Will agree that the gorget "ears" looked shorter then other
>> Costa's I have seen, why?
>>

>> Dennis (north of Grants Pass)
>>
>> On 2019-10-27 11:38, Caleb Centanni wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Courtney and I watched the hummingbird with basically perfect Costa's
>> plumage and callnotes in Grant's Pass this morning, to our dismay, sing a
>> perfect Anna's Hummingbird song. Notes (and later tonight recordings) here:
>>
>> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60971902
>>
>> The bird does have slightly short gorget corners and perhaps a slightly
>> long tail, but considering that we and several eBird reviewers called it
>> pure Costa's based on plumage, this raises some serious questions about
>> whether non-singing Costa's Hummingbirds in Oregon can be identified to
>> species. Is there any chance it could be imitating the Anna's song? This
>> seems unlikely, since hummingbirds are non-passerines.
>>
>> Good birding to all,
>> Caleb Centanni

Join us on Facebook!