Date: 10/27/19 11:39 am
From: Caleb Centanni <caleb...>
Subject: [obol] Grants Pass Costa's Hummer is a hybrid
Hi all,

Courtney and I watched the hummingbird with basically perfect Costa's
plumage and callnotes in Grant's Pass this morning, to our dismay, sing a
perfect Anna's Hummingbird song. Notes (and later tonight recordings) here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60971902

The bird does have slightly short gorget corners and perhaps a slightly
long tail, but considering that we and several eBird reviewers called it
pure Costa's based on plumage, this raises some serious questions about
whether non-singing Costa's Hummingbirds in Oregon can be identified to
species. Is there any chance it could be imitating the Anna's song? This
seems unlikely, since hummingbirds are non-passerines.

Good birding to all,
Caleb Centanni

Join us on Facebook!