Date: 10/27/19 11:18 am
From: Joette Borzik <pep4223...>
Subject: G Yellowlegs, N Shoveler, Lesser Scaup, RB Gull, PB Grebes, NRW Swallows, Savannah Sparrow - Shenandoah River, Jefferson County
This morning's PVAS public bird walk at the USGS Fish Health Lab in Leetown, WV started out very rainy. I did not want to cancel, as there were a few people that registered. Roy, the only brave soul that showed up, joined Heather and I on a drive along the hatchery ponds. It was fun to drive on the top of the dike and drive around most of the ponds looking down into them. There was no waterfowl, and it was raining hard. We did have a large flock of about 100 Red-winged Blackbirds in the cattails, joined by a few cowbirds.

Leetown Hatchery Ponds checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S60962085

Then, we headed to the Shenandoah River to see what the storm brought down. There was a Greater Yellowlegs on a rock in the river off John Rissler Road. It was still raining as we drove along Bloomery Road. We found a Northern Shoveler, Lesser Scaup, a Ring-billed Gull, then later, 4 Pied-billed Grebes at the S turn. There were 4 Northern-rough Winged Swallows sitting on a wire near the Millville Dam. Bald Eagles were present.

John Rissler Rd checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S60963035
Shenandoah River checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S60964729

The sun had come out, and the rain finally stopped. The battlefield birds were back to foraging. Schoolhouse Ridge South of Harper's Ferry NHP was teeming with small birds by the ruins where there was unmowed grass. One Savannah Sparrow, Field Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows and an amazing number of Eastern Bluebirds were a joy to watch. An Eastern Phoebe with an bright yellow belly posed on the fence for us.

Schoolhouse Ridge South checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S60965923

It was a nice way to spend a rainy morning.

BIRDMOM
Jefferson County, WV

Join us on Facebook!