Date: 10/26/19 11:40 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (26 Oct 2019) 250 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 250 1254 2630

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Depalma, Ellen Nunn, Mary Behal

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Mary Behal, Ellen Nunn, Carol DePalma
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Cloudy-Cloudy w/Rain (50-100% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000-13,300
ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 50 - 65F, Winds ENE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (75) and Turkey Vultures (70).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-7
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On Oct. 24, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
During migration, you can very often get a feel for the previous night’s
flight when driving down the lengthy driveway to the Bucktoe Hawk Watch.
If you see birds dashing from thicket to thicket, tree to tree, and birds
on the ground flying up as you drive past; things are likely to be great.
Often you do see much activity. Today there was nary a bird. Ut oh! That
doesn’t make me feel good about the passerine prospects. As the clouds
rolled in there was a spectacular sun halo formed by sunlight reflecting
thru high thin clouds. Did you see it? Later, a couple of “sun dogs”
joined the show. Yep, the skies were alive with activity this morning –
clouds, colors and birds. Vultures, Red-tailed Hawks, Red-shouldered
Hawks, Sharp-shinned Hawks, Cooper’s Hawks, Bald Eagles, lots of Tree
Swallows, even a late Monarch filled them.
<BR><BR>
Mary arrived with gifts of tasty food and as we all know such gifts are not
only welcomed, but encouraged here at Bucktoe! Ellen followed and then
Carol [with a delicious apple], as the weather slowly deteriorated. The
skies earlier filled with birds, became filled with raindrops.
<BR><BR>
After leaving for the day, I stopped briefly at the New Garden WTP. There
were no shorebirds present, but waterfowl included Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy
Duck, and Northern Shoveler.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Horned Larks, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Swainson’s Thrush, Hermit Thrushes,
White-crowned Sparrows, Palm Warblers, and Yellow-rumpd Warblers
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Monarch - 1, Clouded Sulphur,
Buckeye. Dragonflies (0). Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2):
Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.5; Steps:
12,892; Floors: 8.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 46; this season:
130
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a total washout with rain, heavy at times.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek