Date: 10/26/19 12:24 pm
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: Re: People enjoy birding and contribute in different ways
OBOL people,

I think we have reached the limit on analyzing and responding to this
thread. I will now draw the line (see below) and on the other side of the
line, we will share the latest cool birds we are seeing, such as Brown
Booby and Rusty Blackbird.

Line drawn at 12:22 PM October 26, 2019: _______________________

Treesa Hertzel
OBOL Moderator

I’m sure there are those who would rather stop hearing about this, but
coming back to cell service to see this recent conversation was very
disheartening, and I agree with Matt’s succinct and well-said response that
there should be a large and public reply.

If this was a one-off, I think we could all move past it with a gentle
rebuke, but unfortunately this is part of a longer history of the
gate-keeping and sexist behavior that OBOL has long been criticized for
(mostly privately). I appreciate Caleb's eloquent response and agree that
this behavior has the effect of making OBOL less diverse, which is the
opposite of where I feel it should be moving.

I consider myself lucky to be a friend and occasional birding partner of
Courtney’s, and find her as keen and enjoyable to go birding with as anyone
I know. I also know that I often fail to keep the helpful notes I wish I
did, and appreciate she has the diligence to write something meaningful, as
opposed to the “continuing” that I am often guilty of.

I hope there has been a more meaningful private apology than the tepid mea
culpa from this morning.

Brodie

Join us on Facebook!