Date: 10/25/19 6:49 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] OBOL discussion of personal comments on eBird
Good evening, all,

I noticed that I was implicated in this thread, due to a brief comment that I posted some 40 days ago.

At that time, I had no idea that the controversy revolved around the word "fartapepsis." I agree with Jen Hayduk, it's a funny word.

Beyond that, this seems to be another discussion about eBird reporting norms that has spilled out onto OBOL. As others have commented, you don't really need to read the comments (unless you're an eBird reviewer, or working on local or state-level field notes).

Personally, as I expressed more than a month ago, I appreciate when people include comments in their eBird lists. When I'm looking through local reports (as I'm doing this evening, while working on the local field notes for the Corvallis area), it's really helpful for reports on which I might otherwise have questions about.

EBird county reviewers who have to deal with a steady stream of such reports might have their own views on this. But so far as I'm aware, no one who has commented here so far is an eBird reviewer. Also, my understanding is that eBird reviewers are able to contact observers directly, to discuss things like this.

I've been told, several times now, that eBird has some kind of discussion forum where issues like this can be discussed. That would seem to be the best place to take up issues that relate only to eBird.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

POST: Send your post to <obol...>