Date: 10/25/19 5:56 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Possible Lesser/American Goldfinch hybrid-Lane County
Hi Sally (& all),

I can see why you were thinking in this direction. But in your first photo in the checklist, the bird's bill looks normally dark for Lesser Goldfinch, so I wonder if the lighter appearance of the bill after it turned its head in the 3rd photo is an effect of bright sunlight reflecting off of it.

The wings are kind of messy -- looks like some of the coverts haven't grown out all the way. I'm not up to speed on molt stages for goldfinches but my guess here is that it's still re-growing some of its wing feathers. Perhaps some of the banders here who have a copy of Pyle handy could comment.

Otherwise it looks OK for Lesser Goldfinch to me. The bright yellow breast that you note would fit with that too ... I haven't seen a bright yellow American Goldfinch in some weeks.

Joel

I saw this Goldfinch at Fern Ridge-Orchard Point- Lane County.
I think this is a hybrid, it had a pale yellowish bill, green streaky back and
indistinct wing bars. Very yellow breast which none of the photos show.
Thoughts?
[ https://ebird.org/checklist/S60920848]

--
Joel Geier