Date: 10/25/19 4:27 pm
From: Beverly Hallberg <bhallbergskloot...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Nehalem, Tillamook - id sound file for verification
Thanks Dave. I think the iPhone recording doesn’t do the call justice. It
definitely sounded like the gnatcatchers I am familiar with - I used to
have them in our yard in Chicago. But I’m certainly open to suggestions.
The habitat was riparian. It was on the edge of a meadow that had a few
small bare deciduous trees with a Yellow-rumped Warbler and Ruby-crowned
Kinglet in them. The "meadow" also has mowed blackberries. The area has
landscaped homes on large lots with largely native plantings. I can’t
remember the dense shrub/tree that it was in but the area is generally
filled with alder trees and then across the trail are tall spruce and
general boggy wetland tidal habitat bordering the Nehalem bay. The tide
was low. It was solo, small and very loud. I was very close to it but it
was on the other side of the hedgerow that was private. Other birds in the
vicinity on the ground were Pacific Wren, Bewicks's Wren, Hermit Thrush,
Fox and Song sparrows.