Date: 10/25/19 4:00 pm
From: DJLauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Nehalem, Tillamook - id sound file for verification
Hi Beverly,

Maybe some others will chime in, but I'm not sure this is a
gnatcatcher.   Something doesn't sound quite right.    I'm wondering if
you might describe the habitat it was in.

I suspect that this is an uncommon but regular bird for all of us in
Oregon that is a notorious maker of all sorts of sounds, and likes
pretty thick scrubby vegetation. Not a mockingbird either.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 10/25/2019 1:11 PM, Beverly Hallberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This morning I was very close to, but did not see, what sounds to me
> like a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.  It was on private property and I could
> not enter without trespassing to find the bird. The bird continued to
> move deeper into the private area and eventually went silent.
> However, I did make some recordings as it was calling it's "spee"
> calls for over a minute.  These recording are in my eBird checklist
> attached.  If you feel this is something other than a Blue-gray
> Gnatcatcher, please let me know.  The recordings are rather soft but
> the bird was rather loud and nasally. The spectrogram looks good for
> the species. Turn up your volume.
>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S60919696
>
> Thanks, Beverly Hallberg

POST: Send your post to <obol...>