Date: 10/25/19 2:39 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Shorts: Brown's Ferry Park in Tualatin
*SALEM AUDUBON SOCIETY SHORT TO BROWN'S FERRY PARK*

*RESULTS FOR THURSDAY, OCTOBER 24,2019*

*SUMMARY:*

13 of us joined together, including locals from Sherwood, Tualatin, and
also Turner, Keizer and Salem for this *4th annual park SHORT* that
traditionally is in October*. T*raditionally *in the summer* there is a
large section of the park dedicated for children events, and this is easy
to work around at that time having a nice river trail, and a* Natural
Area* beyond
the Community Center. The park is also a starting point if you want to
explore further west for the Nyberg Preserve walk(beware of freeway noise
if you proceed), which has the education placards that continue west on
the river discussing the "building the Plank Road", volcanic explosions, "
volcanic Ejection Index", factors and history of ice movement, and
highlighting the suburban growth around this 11 plus miles hugging the
Tualatin River.

By now the fall trees are ablaze giving opportunity to find passerine and
duck arrival species with this color spectacle. This day was crystal clear
and sunny warming the bug population. The reflections of color on the water
gave artistic illusion.

This is an ideal suburban Park that brings pleasure to all. Mostly known
for historical high water with the forest trees adapted in the past, new
planting efforts are in full force and notable today with yarrow, lupine,
Douglas Aster, Western Ponderosa that will merge with the existing trees
and snags which are maintained of Douglas fir, Brewer's Spruce, Maple,
Alder, occasional Birch, and understory shrubs of sallal, Oregon Grape,
Salmon Berry, and Nootka Rose. The Stafford Athletic Club has also
established a Preserve across with WOOD DUCK boxes, and we started there
with local birder joining us already having seen HOODED MERGANSER we
initially missed, but picked up at the Pond *on our loop return*. [At the
Preserve across *on my scout of 10/22/19,* there was a single Sooty Fox
Sparrow, 2 river otters that I surprised, vocal and visual on 35 Sandhill
Crane coming in]; *and today* a couple of GREEN-WINGED TEAL and our
MOURNING DOVE. Things always in change, we tried and missed a Townsend's
Warbler seen on scout and missed hearing or seeing Pileated Woodpecker.

We birded the inner park and river trail (looking briefly at the map and
west bridge in front of the kayak center) and returned so the sun was
behind us for favorable light and duck census.

*Thanks to all for joining and the interest you provided in the birds,
wildlife and habitat here. Thanks for Mike Unger for keeping our eBird
list.*

Barbara Dolan

Upcoming Salem Audubon field trips include:

- Sunday, Nov 3, Minto-Brown Island Park. Meet at 8:00 AM at the end of the
road into the park off River Rd S. *Note:* Remember the time change!!

Wednesday, Nov 13, Ankeny NWR. Meet at 8:00 AM at the Pintail Marsh parking
lot off Wintel Road.

See www.salemaudubon.org or facebook.com/SalemAudubonSociety for a complete
list of upcoming field trips and other events.

*We birded 2 hours (9:28 AM-11:29AM), walked 2 miles and had the following
birds with 40 species + 1 other taxa:*

Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii) 150*-flyover*
Northern Shoveler (Spatula clypeata) 16-*on the Pond*
Gadwall (Mareca strepera) 21-*on the Pond*
American Wigeon (Mareca americana) 3*-on the Pond*
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 2*-on the Pond*
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 3-*on the Pond*
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris) 9-*on the Pond*
Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus) 2-*probably same pair found early
at the Stafford Preserve waters.*
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 2
Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) 4- *2 at various sites with display and
'POP' feather sounds,*
Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 2
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 2-*one on the river*
Red-breasted Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus ruber) 1-*seen near parking lot
Brewer's. Seen in the past at bridge trees and "double bench" site*
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 4
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 2
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) (Colaptes auratus [cafer Group]) 1
Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri) 6
California Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica) 3
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 18
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 10
Chestnut-backed Chickadee (Poecile rufescens) 7
Bushtit (Psaltriparus minimus) 25
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 5
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) 5
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis) 2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 2-*vocalizing and counter
calling with each other at park side.More often found across river.*
Pacific Wren (Troglodytes pacificus) 1
Bewick's Wren (Thryomanes bewickii) 3
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 9
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 13
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 5
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 1
Lesser Goldfinch (Spinus psaltria) 5
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 2
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) 9
Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla) 4-*with flocks at Pond
edge shrubs*
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 3
Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus) 2
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 6
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S60904671

Join us on Facebook!