Date: 10/25/19 6:59 am
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Chebacco Woods & Pond Complex, Oct 24, 2019
Hi Jim and MassBirders - Over the past few weeks, I’ve heard a number of Song Sparrows (maybe a few White-throats as well) singing mutant songs, often unrecognizable as their own species until I saw the bird in question. From what I’ve learned in various ornithology and animal behavior classes, these are most likely young birds still learning their species’ distinctive sound. But we might have to ask Don Kroodsma, maybe even play a recording for him, to know for certain…

JSR

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA

Vice-president, Hampshire Bird Club
https://hampshirebirdclub.org/

Northeast Chapter head, Dragonfly Society of the Americas
https://www.dragonflysocietyamericas.org/northeastdsa

http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

> On Oct 24, 2019, at 11:50 PM, Jim Berry <jim.berry3...> wrote:
>
> Song Sparrow 1 singing weakly and unsteadily--a young bird or an adult who'd lost his hormones?

Join us on Facebook!