Date: 10/25/19 1:55 am
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Stupid comments on eBird? More please!
Phainopepla (Phainopepla nitens) (1)
- Reported Sep 10, 2019 10:50 by Caleb Centanni
- Page Springs Campground, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.8031267,-118.8671098&ll=42.8031267,-118.8671098
- Comments: "(Rare): “Unreported”: continuing rarity found couple days ago
, (by Mark Nikas on Sept. 7), today cont. in same exact spot as he found it
and as found every day since. Life Bird for Courtney! Caleb’s 350th Oregon
state bird! Solidly Willow-charcoal-gray bird with crested head, dark/red
eye, two white wing bars, long tail “that is frilly at end?” — “Not really
frilly - a little forked at the end but not heavily.” White edges to
tertials, and tail is blacker than rest of body. Head may be browner warmer
color than rest of body? ”Surprisingly short bill.” — 11:24a first heard,
doing upward weep whistles that sound very similar to SWTH. We played tape
soft to ourselves to confirm match. “I think that was the bird...” 11:30a
Caleb found it inside of bush with red stems and long slender leaves and
compound flowers, coming up a little bit along side stems, half hidden on
them. “We did it. We found a fartapepsis!” “A black crested red eyed
fartapepsis.” Sat in view many many minutes , very still, inside/front of
another red stemmed bush; impossible to see with naked eye, and only even
flicked tail after many minutes of stillness, like it’s just
observing/watching awhile. “It spends a lot of its time sitting dead still
in one place, single spot, and then moves on to the next one. It seems to
prefer the very edge of the river.” “We have a nice juvenile PHAI here,
eating red berries from a bush of poss nightshade family. This would be a
7th or 8th record for the state; 3 of the prev. records were from the
Klamath River canyon, so this would be poss the 2nd or 3rd record for
Harney Co.” We watched it sit still in one bush for prob 20 min. “Oh wow,
it moved like 2 inches.” “A PHAI and an OCWA in the same view.” (2 new
county birds!) “He fluffed up a little in the wind. That’s a cold PHAI.” —
“Are you cold?” — “I’m a little cold. Oh, he turned around! That’s the most
movement in the last 5-min.”"

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn