Date: 10/25/19 1:17 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (24 Oct 2019) 137 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 137 829 2205

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Depalma, Dirk Robinson, Ellen Nunn, Sue McLaughlin

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Dirk Robinson, Ellen Nunn, Carol DePalma, Sue McLaughlin
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny (0% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps
44 - 68F, Winds SSW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (45) and Turkey Vultures (60).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-1; adult-7
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On October 24,
I sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
Ellen and Dirk were out to Bucktoe early today; Carol and Sue joined us
later. Together we all watched an intensely blue sky with vultures on the
move, with Bald Eagles, a few accipiters, buteos, and Ravens occasionally
evident. The sky was beautiful, but very difficult. There was not a
single background cloud all day.
<BR><BR>
After the watch was over and on the way home, I stopped at the effluent
pond at Longwood Gardens [private] seeing numbers of American Wigeon,
Green-winged Teal, Ruddy Duck, Northern Shoveler, Wood Duck and a Belted
Kingfisher.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Wood Ducks, Double-crested Cormorant, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, COMMON
RAVENS, Horned Larks, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, White-crowned Sparrows, Palm
Warblers, and Yellow-rumped Warblers
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (7): Monarch - 1, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye,
Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0}. Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.72; Steps:
8,734; Floors: 7.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 45; this season:
130
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (45):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like there will be clouds to see the birds
against and light winds from the south.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: