Date: 10/24/19 9:00 pm
From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Winter Raptor Survey Project Needs
See the following from Jeff Fleischer:
=========================

Hi Everyone,

It’s that time of year again where preparations are being made to conduct
monthly raptor surveys for the East Cascades Audubon Society’s Winter
Raptor Survey Project. We are entering our 16th winter since the start of
this project during the winter of 2004-05. The chapter is based in Bend,
OR. Last winter we finished up with 312 total routes in the project
covering more than 18,000 miles of established transects throughout OR, ID,
the Columbia River portions of WA, and the CA portions of the Klamath Basin
in south central OR. Over 240 primary volunteers participated last
winter. This winter, we have moved the project into all of eastern WA so
it should prove to be a winter full of birds throughout the project, we are
now up to just over 360 routes ! :)

My intent with this message is to advertise routes in your area that do not
currently have a volunteer and solicit your help to survey them this
winter. The two routes in question are :

Azalea - Glendale. 36 miles long
Canyonville. 45 miles long

For those of you who enjoy viewing birds of prey, these surveys are a fun
systematic way of satisfying that passion and we welcome all that wish to
participate in this large and established citizen science project :). A
few requisites include:

1. The ability to identify at least the 5 major raptor species in this
project - Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, Northern Harrier, Bald Eagle,
and Rough-legged Hawk. Together these make up over 90% of all birds
recorded in this project. I realize that Rough-legged Hawks are not common
in your area so you can substitute Red-shouldered Hawk :) We have found 31
species of raptors over the 15 years of the project so ID knowledge of the
other species besides the main 5 would be advantageous but we are also
about learning about these great birds so don’t count yourself out if you
don’t know them all, you can use this project to enjoy learning more about
these birds!

2. We ask that you conduct at least one survey per month during the months
of December through February. Optional surveys during November and March
are available for those wishing more opportunities. These two months do
have migration activity and this project is about monitoring winter
populations but these extra surveys are encouraged if you have the desire :)

3. You should be comfortable driving during winter conditions in your
area. SAFETY IS THE NUMBER ONE PRIORITY in this project, we want everyone
to enjoy their day in the field but also we want everyone to come home
safely as well. To date, we have had zero problems with this and there
have been 46,395 hours expended on these surveys while driving a total of
720,939 miles!

4. Participants should have at least a good pair of binoculars for seeing
birds at a distance. Spotting scopes are not required but they would be a
plus if you own one.

As part of ECAS’s desire to provide project data to the masses, we entered
into an agreement with The Peregrine Fund two winters ago to supply them
with our project data, they are now current with 15 years of data and we
will continue to be involved with TPF for as long as this project remains
active. To say the least, TPF is more than happy to have our data as they
continue a major project of theirs to create a worldwide raptor database.
ECAS is happy to have this opportunity to support their efforts :)

If this sounds like something that you would like to get involved with, we
would enjoy having your help this winter! If one of the listed routes
interests you, please do not hesitate to email me with your choice and I
will provide an additional amount of information, including a project
survey protocol, to get you set up for your activity. To get a better
feel for the covered areas of this project, I invite you to visit the ECAS
website (ecaudubon.org) and click on "winter raptor survey" in the projects
section on their home page and you will be able to access one of several
monthly interactive species maps that display all of the route locations
along with density and distribution of the 14 most prominent species in the
project.

It would be really great to get these routes into the project this winter,
don’t hesitate to jump in and participate! :). Thank you and I will look
forward to hearing from those of you who enjoy this regal family of birds
and wish to help gather information about them :)

Jeff Fleischer
Project Coordinator
Winter Raptor Survey Project
East Cascades Audubon Society - Bend, OR

Join us on Facebook!