Date: 10/24/19 8:54 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Chebacco Woods & Pond Complex, Oct 24, 2019
Chebacco Woods & Pond Complex, Hamilton-Wenham
Oct 24, 2019 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.6 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: I took part in a Greenbelt walk here, led by
Kathy Lanois and Jane Rumrill. We took a 3.6-mile loop along or around
several of the ponds Including Coy Pond over by Gordon College. The
walk took the first two hours, but since I did not see any pied-billed
grebes on the ponds, I took another half-hour to check other ponds for
them and finally found one at Chebacco Lake. Distance is for the walk only.
16 species

Mallard 2
Pied-billed Grebe 1 west end of Chebacco Lake--a low number for late
October!
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 2 Gordon College
Osprey 1 Beck Pond
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 13
American Crow 2
Black-capped Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
American Goldfinch 2
Song Sparrow 1 singing weakly and unsteadily--a young bird or an
adult who'd lost his hormones?
Rusty Blackbird 10 I heard a few (maybe 10 or so) with the first
grackle flock we saw between Beck and Round Ponds, their squeaky songs
even squeakier than the grackles' squeaky songs. After that I didn't
hear any more.
Common Grackle 1900 Give or take a few hundred. Several large
flocks, the largest about 1300 near Chebacco Lake. I did not see any
redwings or cowbirds with them, just grackles and a few rusties.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S60893509

Jim Berry Ipswich, Mass. <jim.berry3...>

https://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!