Date: 10/24/19 5:34 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Acorn Woodpecker tending fledgling in SE Philomath
Hi all,

This afternoon while waiting for a family member who had an appointment in SW Corvallis, I drove a few of the side roads off of Bellfountain Rd., mostly looking for Lewis's Woodpeckers (which I didn't find).

Along Chapel Drive about 1/3 of a mile east of 19th St in SE Philomath, I caught a flash of white on the wings of something that flew up from a utility pole, just as I drove past.

When I went back for a second look, I saw an adult ACORN WOODPECKER flycatching and stuffing its catch into the gape of a begging fledgling, that was perched/sitting almost prone on the crossbar of the pole.

Just when you think nesting season is over! ... but then Acorn Woodpeckers are kind of known for not following the normal rules on nesting.

Nice, sunny afternoon out there. A couple of lunking big DRAGONFLIES were hunting insects over Starker Arts Park, where the pond area is still pretty torn up by the wetland renovation project.

Happy late October,
Joel

--
Joel Geier