Date: 10/24/19 4:21 pm
From: Jim Felley <jdfelley...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Red Gate Park, Rockville
My daughter Madeleine and I explored the closed Red Gate golf club in
Rockville, which has been featured recently on this group. We found it to
be extremely birdy, as previously described. Many flocks of mixed
sparrows, mostly Song and Chipping with some Yellow-rumped warblers mixed
in, flocks of American robins, starlings, Blue jays, as well as American
goldfinches and Eastern bluebirds. There were several highlights,
including two Savannah sparrows and a Vesper Sparrow among the Song and
Chipping sparrows in a brushy and weedy area north of the 8th hole (as far
as I can tell), close looks at a Red-tailed Hawk and an immature
Red-shouldered Hawk, and a Blue-headed Vireo in the parking lot area as we
were leaving.

I am definitely coming back to this location.

Jim

Jim Felley
Gaithersburg