Date: 10/24/19 3:37 pm
From: Steve Nord <stevernord...>
Subject: [obol] Fernhill Wetlands, new arrivals
OBOL;

The day started off chilly, but quickly I found myself removing layers,
until it was in the mid-60's at Fernhill Wetlands, in Forest Grove.

Today there were many new arrivals. The main lake was crowded with
CACKLING GEESE and NORTHERN PINTAIL. However, after multiple scans with my
scope, I eventually found other species hiding in the noisy mass.
Here are the notables and first of season for me at Fernhill:

RED-NECKED GREBE 1 (not a species I see often out there)
BONAPARTE'S GULL 2
TUNDRA SWAN 2 (2 adults flew in during my visit. Seems early)
CANVASBACK 2
BUFFLEHEAD 8
EURASIAN WIGEON 1 male
"DUSKY" CANADA GEESE 3 (usually a small group each winter, these were the
FOS I noted)
WHITE PELICAN 1 (continuing, flying around, seems it doesn't want to leave
yet)

I could not re-find the SWAMP SPARROW I had last week, but imagine it's
still out there. They hide so well. Last week it was in the SE corner of
the basin called Cattail Marsh.

Construction continues on the west side trail, but they completed part of
it. The portion nearest the parking lot is now open. Now possible to make a
complete loop without having to double back, around the northern basin
holding Fernhill Lake. The other portion of the west side trail (closest
to Gieger Road) is still closed.

Good Birding
Steve Nord
Beaverton, OR