Date: 10/24/19 1:08 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (23 Oct 2019) 34 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 34 692 2068

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Ellen Nunn, Howard Campbell, Jerry Meyers, Kelley Nunn

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Howard Campbell, Ellen Nunn, Jerry Meyers, Kelley Nunn, Carol
DePalma
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny (0-5% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles,
Temps 52 - 65F, Winds WNW @ 5 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (45) and Turkey Vultures (48).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
A Peregrine sweeping by directly overhead, but low, was a thrill today at
the Bucktoe Hawk Watch. We are still waiting for our season’s first
Golden Eagle, though. I felt today might be the day as the winds were
right and the sky had just enough background clouds to help see some of the
migrants, but it was not to be.
<BR><BR>
Howard was out early with seed to spread out to feed our birds; but what of
our counters? They need to be fed too, right? Ellen showed up with lunch.
She certainly knows that gifts of food and drink are not only welcomed,
but to be encouraged here at Bucktoe!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Belted Kingfisher, Horned Larks, Golden-crowned Kinglets, Ruby-crowned
Kinglets, Hermit Thrush, American Pipit, White-crowned Sparrows, Palm
Warblers, and Yellow-rumped Warblers
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (6): Monarch - 2, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary.
Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2):
Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.19; Steps:
12,175; Floors: 7.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 50; this season:
130
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
House Sparrow, American Pipit.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it could be difficult to see with nary a
cloud predicted and winds from the south.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek