Date: 10/23/19 8:02 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (22 Oct 2019) 4 Raptors
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 18:23:01 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (22 Oct 2019) 4 Raptors

Peregrine Falcon 0 15 31
Unknown Accipiter 0 18 32
Unknown Buteo 0 4 10
Unknown Falcon 0 2 9
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 26 100
Mississippi Kite 0 0 1

Total: 4 719 4413

Observation start time: 08:15:00 Observation end time: 11:30:00 Total
observation time: 2.75 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Daryl Turek, Eric Mueller, Levi Burford
Visitors:
I went up today fearing the weather forecast but happy to
meet Levi Burford from Pack Monadnock. He currently is
the counter there 5 days a week and offered to come visit
on his "weekend." A few hours of enjoying the updates on each site, trading
names of folks we've both met and
guessing about the effects of climate change on the migration routes of
northeastern raptors. I totally
enjoyed this otherwise 'slow' day!
We crossed paths with a few hikers and others but the
hill was mostly empty -- peacefully foggy.

Eric Mueller and Daryl Turek on the watch today ...
unfortunately, neither saw the day's 4 birds but did get
a chance to enjoy Levi's company for a bit also.

Weather:
Wind from NE all day: 3-5mph/5-8kpm from start to 11am
and 5-8m/8-13k thereafter.Temp 45F/7K rose to 48/9 by
11am and on.
Fog (100% cloud cover) was around all thru our shortened day. Summit
visibility was 100 yds and we resorted to
checking various lookouts below the summit. North lookout
provided 5 mi. view and an immediate Osprey going by close, flapping with
the tailwind. Local passerines held
our attention as the next low cloud blew in. A check at the top was no
better so Levi (mentioned below) decided
to head out. We stopped to talk with Eric and Daryl who had walked down the
road -- also seeking visibility. I stopped at the higher ski slope and
found 2-4 mile window to peer thru. Three Sharp-shinned hawks graced my
view between 11 and 11:30 as the next fog layer was blowing in... at least
these birds passed very close!
Oh ... weather: humidity 100% at start and 93% at end;
Barometer 30.16 to 30.11.

Raptor Observations:
OS 9:57 from NE, passed close to North and turned SW.
SS 2 at 10:59
SS 1 at 11:10. All passed from N on east side of hill.

One local Cooper's hawk was chasing the last SS then turned back north.

Non-raptor Observations:
Levi checked out and photographed bush-birds while we
both enjoyed the company and the conversations on this mostly foggy day.
Yes, we've both seen many like this.

Predictions:
Showers before 8am, fog before 9am. Cloudy thru mid-morning then gradually
clearing. High near 63, west wind
5-15mph with gusts to 25.
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!